Description of Practice
Beth A. Deragon focuses her practice on counseling and training businesses on sound employment practices, and defending businesses in employment litigation before state and federal courts and administrative agencies. Her areas of concentration reach across all aspects of the employer/employee relationship and include anti-discrimination training, employment contracts (non-competition, non-solicitation, and independent contractor agreements), wage and hour compliance, severance/separation agreements, investigations, employee handbooks, employee leave issues (FMLA, Worker’s Compensation, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability) and recruitment through termination and layoffs. Beth’s employment work extends to individuals seeking advice regarding the enforcement of restrictive covenants and review of severance agreements.
Beth represents employers when working with state agencies, including the New Hampshire Commission for Human Rights, New Hampshire Department of Labor, New Hampshire Department of Employment Security, the Massachusetts Department of Unemployment Assistance, and the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination. She has extensive experience working with clients operating in multiple jurisdictions, helping them craft global policies that comply with employment laws of those jurisdictions and localities. Additionally, she has conducted numerous internal investigations for private employers.
Beth assists licensed professionals in risk management and defends licensees before their licensing boards (e.g. New Hampshire Board of Medicine, New Hampshire Board of Mental Health Practice).
Prior to joining Pastori Krans, Beth was Of Counsel at McLane Middleton in Manchester and was chair of the Employment Practice Group at Gallagher, Callahan and Gartrell, PC, where she was a shareholder-director.
Beth earned her J.D. from the UNH School of Law in 2005 and is admitted to practice law in both New Hampshire and Massachusetts. She earned her M.A. in Russian Language and Literature (Hons) from the University of Birmingham, UK, in 1992 and her B.A. in Russian Language and Literature from the University of New Hampshire in 1990.
Honors and Awards
- New Hampshire Super Lawyers (2018)
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™, AV Preeminent Rating (2018)
- Best Lawyers 2016, 2017, 2018 (Employment Law – Management)
- Inclusion in New England Super Lawyers – Rising Stars (2013 – 2015)
- NH Business and Industry Association (BIA) Above and Beyond Award (2015)
Leadership and Service
- NH Department of Labor, Civil Penalty Appeals Board Chair (June 2015 to June 2018; reappointed June 2018 to June 2020). Appointed by the Governor of NH, on recommendation of the Commissioner, NH Department of Labor.
- NH Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section, Chair
- Federal Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel, US District Court District of NH (2014)
- Greater Concord Human Resources Association, Board of Directors (2017 to present)
- NH Supreme Court Committee on Rule of Law, Co-chair
- NH Bar Gender Equality Committee, Past Chair
- Business and Industry Association
- Society for Human Resources Association (SHRM)
- Defense Research Institute, Employment Law Section (DRI)
- Concord, NH, Chamber of Commerce
- Association of Workplace Investigators (AWI)
Employment at Will: A State-by-State Survey (First & Second Editions), Author NH Chapter, ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law, Bloomberg BNA, 2017.
Beth’s News & Events
- NH Supreme Court Holds Hearing on Professional Conduct Amendment
- Attorneys Pastori, Krans and Deragon Recognized at NHWBA 20th Anniversary SHERO Celebration
- Attorney Deragon’s Article on Mental Health Issues in the Workplace Featured in NH Bar News
- Attorneys Pastori and Deragon to Present at the NBI Seminar
- Attorneys Pastori and Deragon to Provide Training on Equality in the Legal Profession
- Attorney Deragon Authors NH Section of Annual Employment at Will: A State-by-State Survey
- Attorney Deragon Speaks at Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce Connections Group
- Gender Equality Committee Presents Philip S. Holman Gender Equity Award to Attorney Holly Haines
- Tips to Avoid Getting on the Government’s Naughty List for Employers Featured in Greater Concord Chamber of Commerce Newsletter
- Attorney Deragon spoke at the Women in Finance Conference