Description of Practice
Petar M. Leonard works with his clients during potentially the most difficult and stressful time of their lives, applying a creative, solutions-based approach to the myriad of issues that can arise in family cases. His practice focuses on employing a number of settlement techniques to resolve issues efficiently and expeditiously, including mediation and collaborative law, but with the understanding that litigation and court are sometimes necessary to achieve the desired result.
Petar’s background and experience allows him to provide clients with highly-responsive legal services in family law matters, such as:
- Divorce, legal separation, and parenting actions
- Collaborative law (Petar is a certified collaborative law practitioner)
- Parenting plans (custody)
- Child support
- Post-divorce child support, alimony, and parenting plan modifications
- Domestic violence, stalking, and other restraining orders
- Prenuptial, postnuptial, and cohabitation agreements
- Grandparental rights and visitation
Petar earned his B.A., cum laude, from the University of Oregon, graduating in the top 10% of his class. While there, he studied abroad at L’Universite’ Catholique in Lyon, France. Following his graduation from the University of Oregon, Petar worked as an English instructor at the Lycee du Parcin in Lyon, France.
Petar received his J.D., cum laude, from the University of New Hampshire School of Law, where he graduated in the top 15% of his class. During law school, Petar served as a judicial intern for Marital Master Henrietta Luneau (now Judge Luneau); and as a judicial extern at the New Hampshire Supreme Court, where he worked for Senior Associate Justice Gary E. Hicks. Petar has experience working in both the large law firm and boutique law firm settings, providing him with a unique perspective, and a nimble approach, with regard to the practice of law.
Petar currently serves as the chair of the New Hampshire Bar Association (NHBA) family law section; and as an adjunct professor of family law to the Daniel Webster Scholar Honors Program at the University of New Hampshire School of Law. Petar also serves on the NHBA Continuing Legal Education Committee; and the NHBA MicroContinuing Legal Education Committee.
A certified collaborative-law practitioner, Petar offers clients the method – by which the parties agree from the outset to settle their case outside of court – as an alternative to the traditional divorce process.
Having lived in France, Petar remains proficient in both written and spoken French. He is also conversant in Spanish.
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers® New Hampshire – Rising Stars Edition (2015 – 2018) (awarded to top 2.5% of lawyers under 40 in New Hampshire)
- University of New Hampshire School of Law – Daniel Webster Scholar Honors Program
- University of Oregon – Golden Key International Honor Society; National Society of Collegiate Scholars
Leadership and Service
- New Hampshire Bar Association Family Law Section Chair (2016 – present)
- Adjunct professor of family law to the Daniel Webster Scholar Honors Program at the University of New Hampshire School of Law (2015 – present)
- Graduate of American Matrimonial Lawyers of America’s (“AAML”) intensive, 4-day family law “boot camp” program in Chicago, IL (2016)
- Domestic Violence Emergency Project (DOVE) Certified (2012)
- Collaborative Law Alliance of New Hampshire (2014 – present)
Petar’s News & Events
- Attorneys Jaclyn Fisher and Petar Leonard Explore the Timely Topic of Social Media in the Workplace
- Attorney Petar Leonard was named to the 2018 New England Rising Stars® List for Family Law
- Attorney Leonard Spoke at the University of New Hampshire School of Law’s Alumni Weekend
- Pastori | Krans Participated in 2018 Quid Pro Bono Golf Tournament
- Attorney Leonard Re-elected as Chair of NHBA Family Law Section
- Attorneys Leonard and Mulholland Participated in NHCLE “Ethics in Family Law” Program
- Attorneys Leonard and Krans Present on NHBA Basic Family Law CLE
- Attorney Petar Leonard Chairs/Co-presents CLE Program on Initial Consultations
- Pastori | Krans attorneys named to the 2017 New England Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars® lists
- Pastori | Krans participates in 2017 Quid Pro Bono Golf Tournament