Description of Practice
Heather E. Krans has been an attorney since 1998. She practices primarily in the area of family law where she represents clients in the following types of matters:
- Divorce and parenting actions, including negotiating divorce settlements and mediation
- Prenuptial agreements, post-nuptial agreements, and cohabitation agreements
- Parenting plans (custody)
- Child support
- Post-divorce child support, alimony, and parenting plan modifications
- Domestic violence protective orders, and other restraining orders
- Grandparental rights and visitation
Heather has substantial experience representing clients in high-asset and complex divorce cases, including those cases involving the valuation and division of business interests and other complex assets. Her goal is to assure that disentanglement from a spouse or partner moves forward as efficiently and smoothly as possible, with each client’s unique circumstances in mind.
Heather has been selected by her peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America since 2013. She was named Best Lawyers’ Concord Family Law “Lawyer of the Year” in both 2014 and 2016. In 2015 she received the Martindale-Hubbell® Client Distinction Award, based on reviews posted by clients. She is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell® – the highest rating available.
In 2012, after a rigorous selection process, including evaluation based on peer recognition and professional achievement, Heather was admitted as a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML), an association of the nation’s leading practitioners in the field of family law. She is one of only four lawyers in New Hampshire to be so credentialed. She has also been included in Super Lawyers® since 2014, and was featured in New England Super Lawyers® in 2014. In 2013 Heather was profiled in New Hampshire Magazine, along with only four other attorneys in New Hampshire, as one of New Hampshire’s leading attorneys.
She is a frequent presenter on family law topics, including prenuptial agreements, child support, and federal law issues that arise in family law matters. Heather is also a regular guest lecturer at both the University of New Hampshire and University of New Hampshire School of Law.
Heather received her B.A. in English from the University of Vermont and her J.D., with distinction, from Emory University School of Law. She is admitted to practice in both New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers 2016 “Lawyer of the Year” (Family Law) – Concord, NH
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent (2015 to present)
- Martindale-Hubbell® Client Distinction Award (2015)
- New Hampshire Bar Association “Philip Hollman Gender Equality Award” (2014)
- Best Lawyers 2014 “Lawyer of the Year” (Family Law) – Concord, NH
- Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America (Family Law) (2013 – present)
- New Hampshire Magazine, Best Lawyers Ed., one of five featured lawyers (November 2013)
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) (Admitted 2012)
- Inclusion in Super Lawyers® (2015 – present)
- Inclusion in Super Lawyers® New England – Rising Stars Edition (2010-2012)
Leadership and Service
- New Hampshire Supreme Court’s Commission on the Bar in the 21st Century (Member, 2016 – present)
- Professional Conduct Committee of the New Hampshire Supreme Court’s Attorney Discipline Office (Member, 2013 – present) (Vice Chair, 2015 – present)
- New Hampshire Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Judicial Ethics (Member, 2015 – present)
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) (Fellow, 2012 – present)
- New Hampshire Bar Association; Family Law Section (Chair, 2012)
- New Hampshire Department of Employment Security’s Appellate Board (Chair, 2010-2014)
- New Hampshire Women’s Bar Association (President, 2004-2006)
Heather’s News & Events
- Attorneys Krans, Pastori, and Deragon named to 2019 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America©
- Attorneys Leonard and Krans Present on NHBA Basic Family Law CLE
- Attorney Krans named to 24th Edition of “The Best Lawyers in America.”
- Pastori | Krans attorneys named to the 2017 New England Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars® lists
- Attorney Krans Presents “Practicing Family Law on the Border of Massachusetts and New Hampshire” at MCLE Seminar
- Family Law Presentation